Textured Beauty Spotlight: Lorna Finn


Here at Ms. Naturally Random! I'm always out and about seeing fabulous ladies with textured tresses. I choose to wear my hair naturally as well, I love the diversity in which we style our hair. I understand that for a lot of us, our "going natural" stories are often quite unique as well.  I'd like to celebrate our differences and hopefully share some insight into other's "natural hair journeys" as I continue my own. 


#1 Introduce yourself! Quick bio, please include where you can be found online.
My name is Lorna Finn and I am originally from Atlanta, GA and found my way to the DMV.  I can be found on Instagram at Ms.EpitomeX or on facebook at Lorna Finn.  I am 28 years (young), founder of Epitome Xtensions, and working on building a beauty empire that appeals to every woman's style and glamitude. Presently, I reside in Maryland and work for the National Institutes of Health (NIH), where I am deeply invested in assisting the research efforts of HIV/AIDS, which has become a new found passion. I have a dog named Dakota aka "Sir Puffins", who I also call my first born. I am am the oldest of 4 brothers and am a tomboy at heart (despite the glam I portray). I love inspiring women and helping each one find her confidence in herself so that she shines. 


#2 Why did you make the decision to go natural?
In 2009, shortly after being diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), I went through a lot of physical changes. I gained about 50 pounds in one year, starting growing rapid facial hair, and my hair began to thin.  However, at that time, I had no idea that hair loss was one of the many conditions of having PCOS.  I just thought my hair couldn't grow at all and concluded that I would continue to wear my hair short and permed. However, in 2010, I was tired of battling with perms and shedding and the expense of trying to maintain a hairstyle that kept breaking off my hair. So, I begin reading up on going natural and more on PCOS, and decided that going natural would be the best option for me and for my condition due to the intense hormonal imbalances that I would endure from time to time. To my surprise, my hair grows like a weed, now that I have zero chemicals in it. Even with the PCOS, my hair pretty much maintains fullness and regular growth, so I realized that over processing my hair was the real reason for my stagnant hair growth.  

                                           
#3 When and how did you transition into natural hair?
In 2010, I did the big chop (I literally had maybe an inch of hair on my head) and just grew it from there. I would wear wig pieces and put in weave to protect my hair from changing weather conditions and when my hormones were in a frenzy, which is also how the concept for Epitome Xtensions came into play.  I wanted to be able to change my hair up and still maintain being a natural diva in a snap. So I launched my business in late 2011 and am currently looking into kinky curl extensions for my product line. Most of the time though, you can find me rocking my natural mane. I love my curls and my natural texture so much, especially now more than ever.  I feel that my hair is a freedom and my canvas, in which I can transform into whoever I feel like becoming at any given moment. 
                              
#4 In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
Going natural has definitely made me stronger in my self esteem and appreciate organic beauty. In the beginning, I struggled with looking at myself without having my tresses straightened, and would hide them. However, the more I read and diversified my look, I grew within. I find being a natural woman bold, seductive, daring, and showcases beauty from within. It shows everyone around you that you are not ashamed of how you were made and that your curls are apart of your uniqueness. 

#5 What mistakes (if any) have you made with your hair that you've learned from?
My biggest mistake would be trying to straighten it myself (and not professionally) and putting in a keratin straightening treatment (since it wasn't a perm).  These two culprits made my hair shed and break off so badly.  My hair really is fickle and doesn't like too much product or chemical at any given time.  I have just said that if I want to wear my hair straight, I will just put a weave in with a full closure so that my natural curls are not damaged. Although I know that there is a technique to straightening natural hair, and many products and conditioning treatments to help detangle and soften the hair shaft prior to using heat, I prefer to stay away from all heat on my hair. 

#6 What is your go-to hairstyle? 
My go to hair style is a wash and go (now that I have my hair cut super short) with Olive Oil EcoStyle Gel, coconut/argan oil mixed, and Carol's Daughter leave in moisturizer (oil and leave in moisturizer are added prior to putting gel in damp hair). Otherwise, I will two strand twist it (when I want more defined curl and texture) with Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding or Baby Butter Cream.
                                                         
                                     

#7 Name a random fact about you
I am deathly afraid of earthworms, snails, slugs, and leaches. Pretty much anything in worm slime form. I won't even step on them when it rains. Often times you can find me tip toeing in the rain trying to avoid a run in with a worm. LOL. 

Well that's it ladies and gents! Thanks for stopping by and remember to check out Ms. Lorna's EpitomeXtensions! She definitely represents #RandomGlam!  

Until next time...

Talk to you later lovelies,

~ Shan, Ms. Naturally Random



Comments

Post a Comment

Recent Reader Faves