Textured Beauty Spotlight: Chris Crosley

Here at Ms. Naturally Random! I'm always out and about seeing fabulous ladies with textured tresses. I choose to wear my hair naturally as well, I love the diversity in which we style our hair. I understand that for a lot of us, our "going natural" stories are often quite unique as well.  I'd like to celebrate our differences and hopefully share some insight into other's "natural hair journeys" as I continue my own. 

#1 Introduce yourself! 

I’m Chris Crosley, a recent transplant to the Raleigh-Durham area. By day I’m a paid search marketing analyst, by night I’m a total foodie. I love finding new restaurants and trying out new recipes. I married to my wonderful husband Dan and am a “mother” to a 3 year old mini Rex rabbit, Ollie. To learn more about me and my life adventures, check out my blog at christinacrosley.wordpress.com or follow me on Twitter and/or Pinterest at chris_crosley.


#2 Why did you make the decision to go natural?

This is my third time going natural. The other times I made the transition, I did it because it was the “cool” thing to do. This last time I chopped, I did it for me. At that point I was tired of the weekly salon visits, tired of the hair breakage, and just tired of my hair ruling my life. I wanted a change and wearing my natural hair was the right move for me.

#3 When and how did you transition into natural hair?

I decided to start the transition in January 2011. After getting my last relaxer I was just disgusted with how limp and lifeless my hair was. After looking through a few photos on Facebook of my undergrad days, I started to grow jealous of how luscious my natural hair was at that time. So the first week in February I texted my stylist and told her that I was going natural. I transitioned for 5 months by doing bantu knot outs and roller sets. I planned to transition for a year, but the two textures became too much to handle so in July of 2011, I stood in front of my bathroom mirror and chopped off my relaxed ends.


#4 In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?

It may sound cliché, but going natural has allowed me to become more comfortable in my own skin. When you’re the only person of color in your work place and you walk around with a huge ‘fro everyday, you gotta have some confidence about yourself. Before going natural, I never did my own hair, I always went to a stylist. Now I love experimenting with new styles, within reason. Having natural hair has just given me a sense of freedom.

#5 What mistakes (if any) have you made with your hair that you've learned from?

Like any new natural, YouTube was my best friend throughout my transitioning period. I would watch a video and immediately go purchase whatever product the vlogger was using. My mistake came in not listening to MY hair and not paying attention to what products it responded well and not so well to. Once I learned what worked for me, I stuck with it. Yes, deep inside I’m a product junkie, but I pay attention to labels now and I’m not afraid to throw something out if it’s not working for me.


#6 What is your go-to hairstyle?

In this NC humidity, I’ve grown to embrace a stretched out ‘fro. In the mornings I can walk out the house with a huge bouncy ‘fro and by the end of the day it’s coily and shrunken, but still cute in my opinion. 

#7 Name a random fact about you.

My goal in life is to visit each Major League Baseball park.

Thanks for reading our #TexturedBeauty Christina's story! Don't forget to check out her blog at christinacrosley.wordpress.com and follow her on social media! 



Talk to you later lovelies, 

~Shan, Ms. Naturally Random

Interested in being featured?
EMAIL ME @ MsNaturallyRandom@gmail.com




Comments

Recent Reader Faves