Textured Beauty Spotlight: Nikita Harris

Here at Ms. Naturally Random! I'm always out and about seeing fabulous ladies with textured tresses. I choose to wear my hair naturally as well, I love the diversity in which we style our hair. I understand that for a lot of us, our "going natural" stories are often quite unique as well.  I'd like to celebrate our differences and hopefully share some insight into other's "natural hair journeys" as I continue my own. 


Shan: Introduce yourself!
Nikita: Hi! My name is Nikita, also know as CreativelyCoiled here on blogspot/blogger. I'm a 30 year old newlywed (smiles) out of Raleigh NC. I dabble in painting, crocheting, graphic design, and all things creative. And I've been natural for 5 years.



S: Why did you make the decision to "go" natural? 
Nikita: I've had a love for natural textured hair since sophomore year in college but I was scared to commit: I would go without a relaxer for a few months then give in. I finally had enough of over processed hair in 2009, and just wasn't pleased with the results of getting a relaxer anymore.

S: When and how did you transition into natural hair?
Nikita: My transition back to natural consisted of half wigs and kinky twist (that I learned to install myself). This helped me keep my hands out of my hair so I was not tempted to process or put heat to it. I transitioned for about a year, cutting off the relaxed hair little by little. After 1 year, I snipped the last inches of relaxed hair and haven't turned back.




S: In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
Nikita: In the beginning it assisted me in actually having a hair care routine, and brushing up on styling (relearning how to braid and flat twist).  With having this [now] simple routine with caring for my hair, it has opened my eyes to having a skin care routine, and has helped me be cautious not only about what I put on my body, but what I put in it. I've been eating much healthier now and learning to take better care of me fully.

S: What mistakes (if any) have you made with your hair that you've learned from?
Nikita: A mistake I made in the earlier years was not realizing that my hair isn't like everyone else’s. I fell into the trap of seeing people try products and get great results... Assuming I could use the same products and get the same results... Then get frustrated when my head looked a hot mess. It was certainly a lesson learned.


S: What is your go-to hairstyle?
Nikita: Well, I have been rocking an undercut for about a month now so my go to style is a puff.

S: Share a random fact about yourself.
Nikita: Random fact: I only know how to play one song on the piano "Deck The Halls". On Christmas, I own it! Lol!


Thank you for reading this week's #TexturedBeautyTuesday feature Nikita! I thought we should know more about her! Doesn't she look fab?! #RandomGlam indeed! 
Remember to check her out at here.


Stay tuned for next week's feature!! 

Talk to you later lovelies, 

~Shan, Ms. Naturally Random 

Comments

Post a Comment

Recent Reader Faves